TECHNICAL ASSISTANT (M/F) IN PROTEIN PRODUCTION – FULLTIME
27 August 2018, Leiden, NL
ZoBio is looking for a motivated, trustworthy and talented individual that can strengthen our team in protein production. Initially for a period of 12 months, it is fully expected that the successful candidate will become a permanent and integral member of the ZoBio team.
Application deadline: 21 September 2018
Start date: As soon as possible
The protein engineering & production team within ZoBio currently consists of 10 talented individuals (4 PhD and 6 MSc/BSc level) that are equipped with a variety of state-of-the-art equipment for expression, purification and characterization of pharmaceutically relevant, challenging proteins (3 AKTAs, SEC-MALS, SDS-PAGE and gel analysis systems). The AKTA systems are customized to provide high throughput purification for up to 2-3 proteins per week at multi milligram scale. The team is involved in establishing innovative, proprietary technologies for protein construct design, expression (E. coli, both in rich as well as stable isotope labeling media) and purification to obtain high purity proteins for biophysical and structural (NMR and X-ray) studies to support ZoBio’s fragment-based drug discovery activities.
The current position primarily concerns large scale expression, purification and characterization of a variety of pharmaceutically relevant proteins to support both screening and structural biology activities in ZoBio. As a member of the protein engineering and production group, you will work closely with the assay development and structural biology groups.
Profile of the applicant
- MSc degree in biochemistry, structural biology or related field (BSc degree in related field plus at least 2 years of laboratory experience (industrial experience is a plus))
- Knowledge of molecular biology and protein chemistry with demonstrated experience in production of recombinant proteins in E. coli. Experience with the expression in stable isotope labeling minimal media is a plus
- Hands on experience with the use of AKTA chromatography systems (or other similar systems) is essential
- Basic knowledge and experience in protein purification and characterization (SDS PAGE, affinity, ion-exchange and size exclusion protein chromatography, Western blots, optical spectroscopy, DLS)
- Ideally you will also be able to develop innovative approaches to protein production including evaluation of new technologies
- An analytical mindset and a systematic approach to problem solving
- Well-organized, flexible and able to manage several projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines
- Can-do attitude, enjoys working in the lab
- Available full-time (40 hours/week)
- Good communication and writing skills in English is a must
Please send your application (CV, motivation letter and names of potential referees) to the attention of Dr. Rob Heetebrij at email@example.com clearly mentioning ‘Technical assistant – (M/F) in Protein Production’ in your subject line.